Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Big Move

This past Saturday we finished packing up our stuff and made the big move from our current townhome to a little bit smaller 4plex about a mile and a half down the road because our lease was up. As you saw in past posts I've been stressing the move for a while but surprisingly the move went really smoothly and we had a lot of help. The morning of the move I was up at 7am and finished doing the odds and ends packing really fast while Spencer called friends and family to make sure we'd have help. Spencer's good friend Kelsey, who he's known since middle school was the main hauler in the move. He always agrees to help and has amazing strength for looking at him he's really tall and slender. The one stipulation to him helping us is that we do it all in one day none of this two day crap, it's all or nothing is how he put it. He was there at 9:30 and Spencer and Kelsey hauled over the majority of the boxes in their cars while I finished packing up the little bits and peices. At around noon we went and got the truck and my mom and dad came and took the boys so that they'd be out of the way. My dad stayed and helped and our friend Brad Bates showed up to help also. Like I said the main hauler was Kelsey, he was really good at packing everything in the truck. My favorite was I asked him how he could get all of it into the truck so well and he said "Hmmm I just think Tetris, find a slot and put the peices in" ahhh the mind of a geek works so different then the rest of ours lol. My mother in law came to help with her van earlier too I forgot to mention that and she bought a few foot long subs for us to eat before we started packing the truck, she was also a big help but couldn't lift some of the heavy stuff and I couldn't either so we both decided to be wusses and leave the real lifting to the men. By about 1:30 to 2:00 our friend's Jay and AC met us over at the place for the last big haul of stuff from the truck to the apartment up the stairs and filling the garage which was a big help another set of hands goes a long way. I stood back and directed traffic and showed the "men folk" where to put the boxes.

On monday we went over to the old place and cleaned til we almost passed out and then cleaned some more. We finished that by about 3:30. I hate moving, like so much! But in the long run I believe we will be able to live in the new place a lot longer then the previous because our landlord isn't going to be jacking the price up by 150 bucks like our old place was. On Tuesday I was looking through unpacking boxes and wanted to make some hard boiled eggs (one of Gavin's favorites) and couldnt' find my pots anywhere it was driving me nuts. I finally thought "oh no, did we check the dishwasher?" I called up Spencer and told him what had happened and luckily we hadn't turned in the keys to the landlord yet. On his way home from work he checked and sure enough the dishwasher was FULL of dishes, ALL of my pots, my pampered chef jug, plates, cups and utensils. I am so glad we caught this before the keys got turned in or I would be looking for a whole new set of pots. We are so greatful for everyone who helped! Now to finish unpacking, the easy part in my opinion!

2 comments:

finding_ac said...

and the "community of williams court townhomes" probably would craigslist all your pans too, eh?

Jenny said...

LOL! Evan has made a comment about Tetris when we've moved too. He hates helping other people move when he doesn't get to direct where to put the boxes/furniture in the truck and he sees that space is being wasted. What a geek/freak.
Aren't you glad you're done!!? I'm glad you found your pots and pans, too! That would have sucked to lose them.