Thursday, October 23, 2008

First thing out of his mouth . . . .

For those of you who intimately know my son, he speaks his own language. I don't know where it came from or how but he has invented his own language and jabbers away like we know what he is saying, I say he's evolved past English and feels his language is better. Most recently I have noticed more and more words and little sentences in English getting added to his vocabulary. My favorite is when the phone rings and he shouts "Chesh, PHONE!" or "Shan! Phone" (my parents version of an intercom when the phone is for someone is to shout across the house). Feel pleased Auntie Chelsea that he does know your name in your absence and thinks the phone is for you. A few new additions though are Thomas related and quite funny, last night he started saying Duncan but he thinks Toby is Duncan and there's no convincing him otherwise (I made the mistake of calling it that by mistake). He also every once in a while mixes my nephews Austen and Tanner's names up, in fact he used to call both of them Austen until I insisted that that's Tanner not Austen and finally convinced him. I know these are small but to me when new english comes out its a victory seeing as for a long time he would solely speak in "Gavinese." Now to the title of this blog. I kid you not, this Thomas thing is becoming quite the obsession, last night we were at Grandma Murley's and she has the priviledge of having Auntie Shannon live with her and she has quite the collection of Thomas'. It always pleases me when Gavin doesn't want to leave somewhere because it means he loves being with someone either then me or Spencer. Last night we stayed up late for him, he's a bit of a night owl like us, he was playing away with Thomas and when we said it was time to go he yelled NO! and ran to hide by Granddad like "Granddad save me!" We finally wrestled the trains from his hands and got his jacket on and as we were headed out the door he was crying because he didn't want to leave. Every morning the first thing out of his mouth before anything is Thomas? and he gets to watch a video or two while eating breakfast. After that though I have to limit it because I will go crazy from hearing that theme song over and over and it'll get stuck in my head. What can I say there's worse things he could be obsessed with right?

Newest phrases learned from Thomas the Tank Engine:

*Ready? Set! Go!
*Toot Toot (many variations)
*Duncan
*What are you doing Thomas? Followed by OH NO!
*Re-enacting Thomas getting stuck in the snow and Terrence the tractor engine coming to save him. Very comical and accurate.
*Its a Thomas
*Look out Percy!
*Oh Sorry
*Thomas you alright?
*Duncan please help Thomas (newly heard this morning from the kitchen)
I'm sure there are more but they are mixed with Gavinese and sometimes I have to listen really hard to hear these, he's coming along though and we hope he catches up talking.

No comments: